Religion (a non finger-pointing post!)

Two subjects that must be avoid in most conversations are religion and politics.

Since my knowledge of politics is as vast as my knowledge of French Cuisine, I will avoid it. Instead, religion! On a forum I often visit, a discussion that interested me was, "Do you belong to a religion?" Before that I had thought about religion, but never asked my self what was expected of one. So this won't be about God or god or gods. My belief or rather lack of belief in a higher power needn't be discussed here.

Instead, the general idea of a religion. What is really expected from a religion?

Comfort.
Religion is that blanket you feel safer with. It may be hot, and you maybe sweating and yet, you need that blanket. It gives you an odd sense of comfort. That feeling of jumping from a high place knowing a safety net will catch you.

Answers.
What is life? What am I here to do? What will happen to me after death? Religion answers these questions. If you take a dictionary, and think of some unusual word, and you find it in there, definition and all, well, that's what a religion should give you. Answers to your questions about life, and beyond.

Paving the Way.
Religion shouldn't force anything on anyone. Yet, it should pave the way. Tell you what's right and what's wrong. Moral values are based on religion beliefs. We don't kill a man because the law says it's illegal. Yet, we don't kill an animal because something tells us it's wrong. This something is what religion has created or given way to. We may not stop and think, "Oh! God will hate me for killing his creation!" but we will think, "It's life. And we must live and let live."

Sadly, religion has led to a lot of uneasiness and even hate among people. People condemn others, insult their beliefs, mock them. I may think a little less of people who believe in god, in the sense that I would be disappointed if a very intelligent person says he believes in a higher power, yet, I have no right to insult anyone's beliefs. Likewise, no one has the right to insult my beliefs. Conversion, is for this reason, one of the greatest sins. What people believe in may seem wrong to you, but to them, your beliefs are wrong. It is you who needs to be guided.

So what does religion make you? I was brought up in a Buddhist family and while I may not be religious, I was taught certain things about life. This is why I wouldn't kill an animal, unless I do so in some unconscious way. Yet, there are religions (before you get your pitchforks ready, I will get to the part where these were never the intentions of those who 'started' the religion.)which allow animal sacrifices. Which in that sense, encourage the killing of animals. So those of such faiths will not think twice before killing an animal. So what stops me from killing, and what makes another kill is what we were taught. Our backgrounds. And religion plays a huge role here.

Yet, should a religion limit you? There was a time when I used to tell people that I can't drink (alcohol) and this was because even the thought makes me nauseous. Then I asked my self, "Do you want to drink?" And no, that's the answer. I don't want to drink. Now I tell people that I don't drink. And this is what should be done with religious practices. Don't stop eating meat because your religion tells you to. Don't fast because you are told to. Don't pray because it's demanded by your religion. Do all that because you want to. Because you see why it's important to avoid meat, fast or pray. If a religion tells you to do something, look for the reason behind it. And if, and only if, that reason is good enough, do whatever it is you are asked to do.

Blind faith. Just the sound of it! Well, most people just believe whatever religion their parents follow. And when asked why they do so, they say, "Oh I was brought up a *religion* so why change now?" Well, choose your own religion. There are so many, surely there will be one you agree with. Don't just follow what someone said years ago. Read through religious texts and then choose one.

Which brings us to, must you believe in everything a religion says? No! No man is a hundred per cent correct. And not all creators of religions were able to tell you about everything on earth. So you may agree with most things in Buddhism but also Christianity. Well, do we need to label our selves with one religion? Of course, you can't call your self a good or real Buddhist and then go pray to the gods. Yet, beliefs are usually a mixture of religions. And you may try to fit in to one belief, but it's not quite important.

Then the religious leaders or creators or whatever they are called. Jesus, Buddha, and so on. They were all thinkers. They had these views and they told the world about them. People listened and believed. Then those creators or protagonists die. And all these follows start giving their own interpretations and opinions. A few centuries later, the religion becomes the warped version of what was really said.

When it's all brought down though, when all the rituals and whatnot are taken away. A religion should make you a good human being. It should make you unselfish. Make you do good. You may live a good life to go to heaven or attain Nirvana, it doesn't matter. Just don't pray and kill with the same hands.

Religion is a messy topic. And religious people are avoided and feared like the plague. Worse are those who live to convert people. There are too many beliefs on earth, but there are so many for a reason. Listen to what others have to say. Be patient, and be tolerant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Availability, dating, love, etc.

Alone time

Learning to Let Go