No to Harassment!

So today a guy sat next to me on the bus and I felt that he was inching closer to me. I went away from him as much as I could and looked out of the window. Then he began to say things like "why are you looking away?" etc. Ugh! I frowned, stood up and walked away.... I know it's a small incident but it's annoying and we feel so helpless at those times, don’t we?... Later, I got to know that 112 could be called to complain about such incidents. Or even talking with the bus conductor about it is a good idea it seems…
-Recent experience of a female friend

I work in Maradana, and even though my office is walking distance from Town Hall, and Odel, for you posh ones, walking down those roads is a hundred times different to say, walking down Flower Road. I have to be careful about my clothes and in general, the people are more, well, human. Having gone for short walks to buy lunch, never have I not been met with at least one comment from a man. They don't even care anymore about dress or looks. If they see a female, preferably a young female, men are just tempted to make some comment. And we are not talking about men who drive their Hondas (I mean, a man who owns a BMW rarely actually drives it!) while talking to someone on the latest smartphone. These are mostly trishaw drivers and those odd characters who hang around garages and little shops all day!

So once when I walked with a man, it felt like heaven. Not a single male on the road said anything. And when I later told this to my friend, he was quite surprised to hear what females go through daily!

But it is something we have to put up with. The men who make crude comments, try to strike up conversations with you, inch closer to you, and sadly, to the less fortunate, try to touch you. This could be while traveling in public transport, walking about and even in places like shops or bus stops. Women are constantly being harassed!

What's sad is how people usually say something like, "oh men will be men." Hello!?! Men will be men is the stupidest excuse anyone could ever give. So it's okay that men harass you, because see, they don't want to do it, they just can't help it? That's the kind of attitude that encourages men to be less human and more monster!

Another reason given for the harassment is how women dress inappropriately. I will never ever cover my self head to toe and I believe women have been given nice figures to flaunt it a bit. BUT as comfortable as those butt-shorts are, do not wear them in public! Seriously women, especially young girls, cover those legs at least a bit! So women should know to dress in a modest manner, and not show a whole lot of skin. The issue is that men comment on women who wear figure hugging, short or sleeveless clothes. But they also comment on females who show nearly no skin. And who wear non-figure-hugging clothing. So what should we wear? A raincoat like outfit that will cover us from head to toe? Umm not in this weather! Also we should have the freedom to wear what we want. Even though we shouldn't abuse this right!

Something my grandmother, having also worked at a newspaper office, tells me is that I'm incredibly lucky those I work with are not harassing us females at work. Maybe times have changed or maybe I work with a bunch of good guys, but I have so far, not have had to deal with sexual, or any other kind or harassment at work.

So its not all men whose minds only focus on one thing (the one thing being sex!) There are men who know how to treat women, and for this I'm thankful.

Now a recent event that was on my facebook wall was to stop harassment of women. Which is all good, except, men too are sexually harassed. And while females can actually tell someone about their bad experiences, men are more reluctant. I mean, even an anonymous comment about your bad experiences will be getting something off your chest, trust me, people have no right to judge! But anyway, men have more reason to be ashamed of being sexually harassed. Two reasons, people are still quite reluctant to accept that homosexuality exists and also it affects a man's masculinity ( "You were harassed? What kind of a man you are!" )

So people are harassed daily. Sometimes, it's exhausting and you want to snap at them, but you don't and you can't because it will only make things worse. But men or women (trust me, there are female perverts too! Especially older women who prey on young and naive males!) get your life together! Do not try to get over your frustrations and needs at someone else' expense.

Because harassment, of any kind, but especially sexual harassment, is a serious issue. It scars the victim and it makes life so much more difficult. There are enough and more battles to fight, but harassment, I think, is at the top of the list!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Availability, dating, love, etc.

Alone time

Learning to Let Go