On My Beliefs

The world may lack many things, but it doesn't lack religions. Or beliefs. Now a question I have been asked too often is, "why do you not believe in God?" I usually choose some reason and shut them up. But today, well, here's a list.

1. Since you can pick and choose between religions and beliefs, there has to be some selfish reason behind your choice. Now, I have asked for stuff from that faceless, nameless God! I've said over and over again, "Look! If you do in fact exist, now's the time to show your self. Also I would really appreciate it if you kill me in my sleep so that I wont have to wake up tomorrow for a blood test!" (Yes, I actually did ask for that and was so disappointed to wake up the next day!)

So since you are reading this, or rather since I'm writing this, you know that I didn't die that night, and the blood test was utterly painful too! But I've asked for other things, things too personal to talk about, and too far away in the past to remember. And I haven't been given a single thing. So, why believe in someone who wont even listen to you?

2. God's love has too many limits. Like don't eat pork, don't love one of your own sex, don't cross dress! I mean, I already have so many rules in my life. Do I really need more? What right does this so called God or rather the men who right on behalf of God have to make such rules? I mean, life is too short to be governed that way.

3. Beliefs are too exhausting. The only reason I can get through a tiring day is because of my lack of beliefs. I don't need to worry if I won't be able to pray or if I've broken any rules or promises. I mean, sure, I do like to stick to the five precepts, but they are so easy to stick to. I rarely kill or harm life, never steal or lie, don't misbehave and don't get intoxicated! So I have nothing to worry about, and sure I light an oil lamp and offer flowers to the Buddha, or rather a statue every morning. But I enjoy doing that, gives me a few minutes to think, and be calm.

So what I do believe in is, live and let live. Just forget tomorrow, get through today. Do to others what you would want done to do.

And yet, with those simple things, yes, I still feel safer wearing a Pirith Nool, or when I have offered flowers, and alms to the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha. I do call my self a Buddhist, and I'm happy to have been born into a Buddhist family. But I don't let my beliefs suffocate me, or cage me. And this is what religion and teachings should do. They should free and not imprison.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Availability, dating, love, etc.

Alone time

Learning to Let Go