Labels that Define


We all have these labels or tags that in some way define us. While we say we can’t be defined by a single word, a mixture of many things makes us who we are. If someone asks me who I am, my answer would depend on who asks the question and where I am.

I’m a Sri Lankan,
A Buddhist,
A Sinhalese,
A writer,
LCite,
Nerdfighter
And so many more things. And while none of these can fully define me, I am a combination of several labels or tags.




What are we when all these labels are taken away? When we take away each one of those tags?

Nothing.

What makes us who we are is what we are. My beliefs, various organizations and groups I am part of, the things I like to do will say bits about me and they will make me who I am.

If you take Shailee the Female, she doesn’t show much interest in things termed ‘girly.’ Make up and jewelry does not interest her. She does like to dress up once in a while but prefers the familiar comfort of her faded blue jeans and tshirts decorated with at least one food stain.

Shailee the Sri Lankan will take her country’s side no matter what. Her blind patriotism can seem foolish because her knowledge of Sri Lankan politics is non existent. Yet, she’s proud to be a citizen of such an amazing and beautiful country. She may complain that the buses never run on time, but is in fact thankful Sri Lanka has such flexible systems.

Shailee the LCite absolutely loves her school. She may not miss it as much as she thought she would, but this could be because she knows she still belongs there. She sometimes yearns for the comfort and homeliness of her school, which is as beautiful as a school can be.

These various personalities are not always active. Sometimes they are switched off. Shailee the Sister (as in, sibling sister not convent Sister) won’t be at the forefront when she’s at work.

Okay back to sanity where I don’t talk about my self in the third person.

So anyway, these labels are important. A person is never just one label. You aren’t good or bad, you aren’t this or that. You could be this AND that.

These labels will allow you to have a number of groups of friends. I have my work friends, school friends, those I share a love for reading with and so on. Labels shouldn’t limit you; instead it should allow you to be this different and unique person.

Labels are good. Sometimes they can’t be properly and nicely categorized. Sometimes they can. But knowing about the various labels you have will help you understand your self, and know your self. No matter what though, be proud of who you are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Availability, dating, love, etc.

Alone time

Learning to Let Go