Why I Blog

Here's to why I maintain a personal blog
(the following was originally posted there, but I took off all the personal bits and here it is)

Now a whole bunch of people ask me why I have this personal blog. Who in their right mind would lay out her entire life in a place that anyone can access. Why do I talk about people and things here when people can read it?

Well, in 2009, I started blogging. And I was a stupid lame teen back then so my issues were about friends and school. No one knew I blogged so what was the matter. No one here (my personal blog site) knew Shailee the person. They knew humanhead the blogger. Slowly life became much more than just school and books and food. I started talking about my feelings, emotions and the truth. Slowly humanhead the blogger became Shailee the person. And I am still that stupid lame teen but I've become a little more real. I've realized a lot of things about my self and I'm still that angry and sad person, but I'm an angry and sad person who knows where she stands in the world.

If you have read my previous posts you'll know that I wanted to leave once or twice. I always came back though because this is... home. This place knows me, it knows my secrets. The past few years are all here, and I can't just go away. So I keep posting and I continue laying out my life.

The reason I don't mind it is this. I haven't done anything or felt anything I should be ashamed of. If someone asks me something about my life, I will not lie to them. In fact, I've told people a whole lot about my life before becoming friends with them. Not that I would walk to a stranger and start talking with them but I don't feel the need to lie about my life.

But there was one thing I did lie about; my parents. It took me years to tell my school friends. You must understand that in school people tend to be very awkward and insult people and make fun of them. But it wasn't the judging that kept me from telling them. It was the fact that I couldn't. I tried telling them, but somehow, I couldn't. Which doesn't make much sense but sometimes we want to tell someone something but we can't because well... We just can't.

Besides that I've been quite open about my life. Especially here. But the issue is this, people I know personally don't always enjoy reading this blog. Maybe they feel it is too personal, I write about them. And it's true, if you are part of my life, you are part of my blog. Sometimes I don't mention names, sometimes I do. This isn't because I care about one's privacy and not the others. I mention names because I'm more comfortable with them, I don't have to worry about them punching my face. They have never shown dislike about being mentioned here. Others have, so their names remain unmentioned.

So I've used this blog to get messages across, to confess, to get things out of my system. And this blog has helped me with many things too, especially to tell people things.


My Life that Demands to be Noticed

Since you already know I'm a stupid lame teen, it wouldn't surprise you when I tell you this; I write poems! Yes, I do write silly things, and most of them are pretty personal poems. I write about people I know, and things I've been through. It's not because I can't move on from these situations or because I want them to be more than just memories. I have all these stories, and if they can't somehow find them selves into a poem, well, what's the point of life?

But I'll make things clear. I don't write poems for people. I do write about people, but they aren't always as close to the truth as one could imagine. I often take fragments from various memories and put them together. Sometimes I create these images and people and write about them.

I'm lying if I say I write poems just because I love poetry. Besides She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways and Colonel Fazackerley Butterworth-Toast I don't know many poems. I rarely read poetry unless it's written by someone I know. And there are such poems. I write because sometimes I want to get a message across. Or sometimes I just feel like it. And so I write...


Written for Reconciliation

I contribute to this blog. The reason I write stories of various kinds for WFR is this, I love Sri Lanka, and I despise the anger and hate Sri Lankans sometimes show each other. So we write about peace and love and reconciliation. I know you are thinking, "Phhh! Just kids trying to make them selves known!" Well, WFR isn't about that. We write because we love writing and WFR doesn't belong to a few people. It belongs to anyone who wants to contribute.



Finally, 'Cause Pigs can Fly

My articles, mostly those I write for the Free section of The Nation, find a comfy home here. There are also stories that aren't personal enough for the personal blog, but are too 'here and there' for the paper. So I post them here, my views, opinions and thoughts. I write these because sometimes my thoughts overwhelm me, and I need to store them somewhere.


Now you may ask, why I have so many blogs, when the content doesn't really vary that much. Well, I have a slight case of blog OCD where I need them organized and categorized. I used to only have the personal blog. I then started the poetry blog, to store all my poems. Then came 'Cause Pigs can Fly where at first, I just wrote random short musings. Finally Written for Reconciliation which obviously needed a place of its own.

We now come to the topic of this post, why I blog. I blog because I love to write. I live with words, as people have told me. I tweet, I update my facebook, I write at work, I update my blogs, I maintain a journal and I have a tumblr where I rarely post. I love words and I have enough things to talk about. At least for now. For me, words are, in a way, an escape. You know how people need coffee to wake up, or alcohol to get over issues? I need words. I read and I write. So yes, we won't get along if you don't read or write, but if you've read this far, I guess we'll be all okay!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Availability, dating, love, etc.

Alone time

Learning to Let Go