Being Single

When people say "I'm happily single" they do mean they are quite happy to not be in a relationship. They also may mean that no one has been showing any interest in them. Which is fine. Not all of us have people trying to win our hearts, no Secret Admirers or Valentines. Some of us are just meant to be Forever Alones. Except that more often than not, we are to blame for our singlehood. We push people away and give the impression that we are not at all interested.

So I have no issue with being single and I have no issue with people being single. After all how is the heartbreak worth it? <Okay, who are we kidding. It's nice to be liked by someone!>

The real problem I have is how people always assume others aren't single. Sometime back I was part of a conversation I had spaced out of. So I did the whole, nodding and smiling at what seemed like the perfect moments. This went on, until the words, "she has a boyfriend" made my brain go all, "OMG! Your cousin has a boyfriend and she didn't even tell you!" because we were talking about my cousin before I spaced out. So I asked them, "who has a boyfriend?" and they look at me like I'm crazy and say, "you do." Now my random nodding and smiles didn't make things any better. So they just assumed, God knows why, that I was in a relationship.

A similar thing happened with a another friend.
Friend (talking to another friend): She's not available
Me:Why not?
Friend: You aren't single right?
Me: Huh? I am
Friend: *confused look* Hmm!

Two years ago, I was talking with a friend. And he assumed I was taken because of the school I went to. Almost as if, when we turn sixteen or whatever, our principal says, "Look kid, we noticed you are single, and so found the perfect guy for you. If you don't like him, we will find another. Don't you worry, our aim as a school is to make sure all our students are in relationships."

Now of course I feel a bit happy that people assume my behavior implies am not up for grabs. It keeps away any unwanted advances. So does your average not-single-girl rarely text, talk on the phone and always make negative comments about love and relationships?

Then there are answers to, "what makes you think I'm going out?" Once someone actually told me something like, "Oh there's that boy who always comments on your FB posts." Now I don't know much about relationships but I doubt a condition of a relationship is that you always comment on your special someone's FB posts! Get a life, people. Comments and like suggest nothing. I like posts because they interest me, not because I like the one posted it!

There are people who rush into relationships because they are sad and lonely and the only way they can smile again is if they jump into a relationship which won't last that long and lead to more pain!

So males and females, just wait. Patience will either make you meet your soulmate (if they do exist) or they will make you'll cat-ladies. Either way, just stop complaining and assuming. Just wait for the right person. He or she may not be perfect, and what you have with them, whether its like or love won't last forever, but then again, nothing does.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Availability, dating, love, etc.

Alone time

Learning to Let Go