For strangers stop being strangers

Change is such a simple thing and yet, change can take away a lot with it. I find it difficult to accept change and yet, I’ve changed so much. I’ve gone from being a talkative and active girl, to a depressed and quiet teen to the person I am now. More in control of my feelings and more accepting of other people. There was a time when I hated those who drank, or smoked. Now, well, I still hate it when people I love do those things, but I’m more accepting of them.

Even with all this, I was still shaken when a friend accused me of having changed. Then my grandmother said I’ve changed. And I realized that I have indeed changed. The days where all that mattered were people you have been friends with forever, and everything can easily be forgiven, where you had a best friend you told everything to, those days are gone. So long gone that they are but fragments of my memory.

So yes, I’ve moved away from the people I loved with all my heart even as recent as last year. Not on purpose though. This shift and change was inevitable. When I started working I met so many new people. They were older than most people I associated with. They are more mature, and yet so simple and easy to get along with. At first I thought I would be miserable, because I found it hard to open up to them, to join in their conversations. Now I feel more at home here, even though I’ve only been in this place for three months.

There’s also the moving away from the kid I am. Overnight stays, outings and so much more are slowly making me an adult. An adult in a very none-adult way. I’ve grown up, but not enough to do away with my childhood. Not enough to not be a kid anymore. I still have fun, still laugh at lame jokes. Maybe not so much with some. And even though I was afraid of the distance that had grown between my cousins and I, two days ago, I realized there was never a distance.

We may not talk everyday, or see each other as often as we would like to, but we still have the same conversations, we make the same jokes, do the same childlike and yet such ‘us’ kind of things.

So you can hate me for changing and you can distance your self from me. It doesn’t matter though, because friends stop being friends. And strangers stop being strangers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Availability, dating, love, etc.

Alone time

Learning to Let Go