We aren't complex beings



We often assume people are complex beings and the world is a complex place. We think we can’t understand people, thus agree with them and tolerate them. And if we can’t tolerate them, we think we can’t coexist.

Love is a simple emotion, right? If someone asks me why I love another, the answer would be ‘just because…’ There’s no reason you can give. You just love. And yet, when it comes to loving or rather, falling in love or expressing your love, there are so many things you end up having to think about.



While I love my job and where I work, I used to had very little friends there. I cannot socialize and usually keep to myself. Recently, a shift in the seating arrangement resulted in me sitting with the ladies at work. I’ve now realized that they aren’t so bad. In fact, they are quite awesome. And the reason I stayed away from them before is because I thought they were clique-y and bossy. I didn’t understand them and their inside jokes made me feel like an outsider. However, I now realize that our differences don't matter. I may not understand them fully, and yet, I can still coexist with them. We need not have a whole lot in common, we don't need to be carbon copies of each other.



While going home, I was having a conversation with one of them. We were discussing how short life is and how the whole YOLO thing works. Here’s the thing. We are given one life, maybe 70 or 80 years. And of these years we spend a lot of time as a helpless baby, in school and then, as a helpless elderly person.

If we live up to 80, we are given at least 700, 800 hours of life.
Of this, we spend 233,600 asleep, 52,560 as a baby, 87,600 in old age and 141,620 hours in school or at work.
This means we are awake and free for a mere 185,420 hours which is 21 years.

If we give into all these strings that tie us down, we won’t be able to enjoy this time. We will spend them thinking about what’s right and wrong, what’s good and bad. We would over-think and over-analyze and end up not really enjoying ourselves.

Life is too short to have boundaries and live by principles. People will stare, they will judge and they will ridicule. But remember, as long as you are doing what you want to do, nothing anyone says matters. However, you must remember that 'your freedom ends where my nose begins.'

This means, of course, that you aren’t completely free. You can’t do everything you want to. This is, however, the beauty of coexisting; live and let live. And by doing so you realize that people aren't complex beings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Availability, dating, love, etc.

Alone time

Learning to Let Go