Opinions, insults and comments

Constructive criticism is supposed to help. The truth is encouraged because lying is sinful.
Negative comments are a big no, people say.

Looking at most pictures that people post on Facebook, my first thought is "dear Jesus, who would upload such an ugly picture of themselves?" I see outfits people wear and think how terribly matched they are. Do I say these things to the people concerned or any other person? No. I keep my opinions to myself, especially if they are negative, if they are hurtful.

However, not many do this. While calling someone ugly is considered extremely offensive, calling them an idiot seems okay. Why? Because everyone is beautiful but not everyone is smart.

As a human, would you like it if people left comments on your pictures calling you fat, ugly or disgusting?

As a photographer, would you like it if people told you, in a public forum, that your photographs suck? That you are better off selling your camera and working at a fast food joint instead?

And as this is something I too go through,

As a writer, would you like it if people told you, in a public forum, that you can't write to save your life and the newspaper, magazine or blog you write for should stop publishing such meaningless crap?

We all have opinions. We all think our opinions matter. I guess, they do. But when you write your opinion, and people call you an idiot, you stop having an opinion. You stop thinking for yourself and instead, do and think and say what everyone else does.

Comments and messages. One, the world can see, the other is private. When you criticize someone, insult them and call them names in a public forum, ask yourself if you would want someone to tell this to you. If you spot mistakes, if you have some negative thing to say, send the person in concern a private message.


I can leave comments on people status updates, their pictures and various posts. I can be mean and hurtful and honest. But I don't leave such comments. I would rather compliment and praise than ridicule and insult. This isn't because I'm this amazing and good human being. It's because I'm selfish. Because I don't want that same thing to happen to me. I refrain from making rude and hurtful comments because I don't want such comments about stories I write.

Constructive criticism is good. No one is perfect, we all make mistakes. But we also have feelings. Being insulted and laughed at for not being good at what you do hurts. Trust me on this. It makes you want to stop what you do, even though you love doing it. I've considered putting a stop to my writing thanks to comments that have been made. I've considered not voicing my opinion, which I rarely do anyway, because of hurtful comments. And if they continue, there is a chance I'll stop doing what I love doing.

We live in a world where calling someone ugly is treated like committing murder but insulting someone's creation is considered being honest. Think twice before you post those mean comments. You could be the reason someone stops doing what they love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Availability, dating, love, etc.

Alone time

Learning to Let Go