These words we write
Something not many
know is that Ollie’s Diary began as a way to deal with grief.
For context, Ollie’s
diary is a story published every other week in Little Stars, the children’s
tabloid of The Sunday Morning. We published the first story three Augusts ago.
We published the last story today.
But four Augusts ago,
Calvin passed away and I was devastated. A few years before that, Calvin’s
adventures came to life through A Diary of a Mischievous Cat, also published in
Little Stars. We brought it to an end when I left The Sunday Morning to join
Daily FT. In it, Calvin was Kat, Gingie was Ginger.
Ollie wasn’t part of
the story because she was yet to join our family. Later, when I left Daily FT
and joined The Daily Morning, I started writing for Little Stars again. And so,
Ollie’s Diary began.
I remember talking to
Kusumanjalee, the editor of Little Stars and my friend, about how I wanted to
write about Calvin’s illness and death in a way that children could understand.
I thought that easing them into heavy themes like illness and pain, death and
loss could be done using characters like Ollie, Kat, and Ginger.
But as the story went on, I didn’t have the heart to do this. I wanted Kat’s character to always be part of these adventures. I didn’t want it to end.
But now it has. Of
course, it’s not really an end because Ollie, Kat, and Ginger will have their
adventures shared through books like Ollie Shoots for the Sun. But Ollie’s Diary
has ended. Little Stars has ended. And with it also the one thing I held on to
after leaving not just The Daily Morning but also print media last year.
I don’t know if other
industries have the same effect on people, but there’s something about writing
for a paper. It feels special, I suppose. Having your
words up on a blog or any other digital platform doesn’t come close to that feeling.
So to lose that… well, it’s heartbreaking. It feels like I’ve lost a part of myself. And I don’t know if I’ve been holding on too tightly to these articles and stories. If I’ve been convincing myself I’m doing okay because I get to still write for a newspaper in some form, even if I’m no longer in the industry.
I don’t know how to
end this post, so I think I’ll say this. For a long time, I thought creative
writing wasn’t my thing. I loved writing stories in school and probably wanted
to publish my work someday. But as an adult, I realised my writing lacked
something.
Little Stars made me discover
a love for writing children’s stories. It made me realise that children’s
stories could deal with very serious and adult (and also personal) problems like
unemployment, death, change, loss, grief. It made me realise that characters
written for children can also reach adults.
It made me realise
that words, written by humans, edited by humans, read by humans, are powerful
and impactful.
So, during a time of newspapers shrinking and shutting down, of people calling themselves writers even when the actual writing is done by AI, of people moving away from the wonders contained in books, I hope that people keep writing and people keep reading and people keep falling in love with words and the stories we tell using them.

Comments
Post a Comment